Orthodontics is a dentistry specialty whose purpose is to correct teeth and jaw position, often using a variety of appliances and other treatment elements designed to lead patients to straighter teeth and a healthier mouth. Orthodontics is can be used for people of all ages, though used most often among children and teens.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can help to alleviate long-term health issues.
For all ages
Kanata Orthodontics recognizes that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your individual needs are met. The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens, is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may require orthognathic surgery.
While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, we recommend visiting the orthodontist around age seven. By this age, most children have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, making it easier for us to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery. In addition to a variety of other benefits, early treatment allows your orthodontist to correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight.
When the time comes for braces, and other corrective treatment, Kanata Orthodontics offers a wide variety of options – braces, Invisalign®, retainers, and more. With all of the advancements in orthodontics and appliances, you’ll barely notice them while they are working to beautify your smile.
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for kids and teens. Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance.
Patient focused care
In working on behalf of our patients to strike a balance between health and healthy teeth, the Kanata Orthodontics team employs a face-focused approached that, among other things:
- Promotes early treatment and monitoring in order to maintain a more holistic treatment plan
- Treats the whole patient and his or her whole face, not just the teeth
- Avoids extraction and retraction of teeth wherever possible, employing surgery only when necessary
- Considers the shape of the face and optimal airway
Among other benefits, a face-focused approach and early intervention can result in better overall mouth (and body) health.